12.01.2008

a thanksgiving feast

Well, we had a nice Thanksgiving. We stayed home and enjoyed the day by ourselves. Sure didn't feel like a Thanksgiving though. I grew up in the same town as two sets of my grandparents (with the other set not far off) and lots of other relatives, so holidays were always spent with tons and tons of family, never at home. This Thanksgiving felt more like a Sunday. Only with a trip to King Soopers. (Yes, I ran out of eggs for Joey's pumpkin pie.) I did however enjoy cooking up a Thanksgiving Feast all by myself without any pressure of feeding a crowd. I cooked, of course, a turkey, had mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, a cheesy veggie dish and homemade crescent rolls. And two pies. An apple for me and pumpkin for Joey. I even made the crust by hand (literally-we don't have a food processor...). Everything turned out great. Except my apple pie. It tasted great, but was so soupy! I even set out a veggie tray and chips and salsa. One of my favorite things at holidays.



Marryn though, had a rough holiday. She complained of a stomach ache Monday night, then later threw up. She basically couldn't hold anything down until Friday. One day she couldn't even keep water down. It was so sad. By Wednesday night she was starving! She was feeling fine (acting fine as well) but still even the few bites of chicken noodle soup she had came up. She just kept bringing me everything in the pantry (black beans, popcorn, Swedish Fish, etc) literally begging for something! We were so sure she'd be fine the next day, that we promised her an egg in the morning. First thing Thanksgiving morning, she woke us up asking for her egg (that's where the shortage of eggs came from...). Then she puked it up. But was fine otherwise. Played all day with dad and Reganne. On Friday she managed to keep her food down. Until Joey reheated the veggie dish. The smell was just a little too much for her sensitive tummy. But that, finally was the end of it. Or unless you count my upset stomach.... Yes. Friday I woke with a sour stomach myself. I haven't gotten sick, but I haven't eaten much either....

3 happy thoughts:

Our Family Happenings said...

Did you guys do Thanksgiving at your house by yourselves, or did you have people over? Sorry to hear about the yucky tummy. Brooklyn had the pukies on Satruday night and Sunday, but that is all the longer hers lasted. Hope you don't get any sicker. Glad your kids got to play in the snow...mine are still waiting to get snow so that we can go play in it!

Kim said...

Your dinner looks yummy. good job! Bummer about Marryn getting sick. We have had that same thing in our house. It sucks!! We had to spoon feed pedialyte to Maylee to keep her out of the hospital. Good luck with that. I hope you didn't get it.

The King Family said...

It looks delicious even if it was just your little family. AND, so sorry about stomach aches. We had the stomach flu too on that day. Yuck! Not a good day for that.