10.02.2008

a deal with myself

I hesitate to put this on the blog, you know, it's an 'I'm embarrassed to admit it but even more embarrassed if I fail' kind of thing.

Well, I joined a gym.

No, that's not the embarrassing part.... It's just a small workout place in a strip mall about 5 minutes from our house. Ten bucks a month. And, I signed up with a personal trainer (that was a little extra...). I see her twice a week for half an hour. And so far that's all I've done (see the trainer twice a week, although I am super sore from yesterday's lunge and squat workout). But, I am happy to admit that I have lost 5 pounds these past 3 weeks. I know that I need not only more time at the gym, or doing any type of strenuous workout, but that I also have got to change my eating habits.

I LOVE FOOD. I LOVE TO EAT.

This is a challenge for me.

For some odd reason, after having Reganne, I dropped all 45 pounds AND some fairly quickly. And all without any exercise. But this go round has been a little tougher on me. I lost the initial 25 pounds (of the 50 gained, just like I mentioned in my labor story) and thought that the rest of the weight, although slowly, would just come off. Well no. I just now (after this recent weight loss) have been able to pack away the maternity clothes in exchange for my "big" clothes (and I just barely fit in them). And these are clothes I wore weeks after having Reganne (Christian is now 11 weeks-almost 3 months). But every time I see those peanut butter M&Ms or those double stuffed Oreos, all thoughts of eating better and loosing weight go out the window (and I studied nutrition?!?). So I have made a deal with myself. Many people reward themselves with, well, food (not such a great idea) or by buying themselves stuff (don't really have the money for a spending spree). So I came up with my reward. When I lose 10 more pounds, I'll get my hair cut. My hair has been bugging me lately. Seems as soon as it's long enough to be pulled back, it doesn't look good down, so I am ALWAYS pulling it back, which doesn't look good either. So this is something I really REALLY want and it's not going to cost anything (well it is, it's just not going to cost anything extra, I'd have to cut my hair sometime anyhow). I'll have to come up with another incentive for the last 10 pounds. Maybe then, just the thought of unpacking the rest of my clothes will do it....

But so far it's working, and things are going better. I was able to walk past the Halloween Oreos yesterday and get just the peanut butter M&Ms. (I can't completely deprive myself, otherwise I just loose it.)

So if you see pictures of me with longer hair (ie, hair pulled back) in the upcoming months, you'll know that I'm not doing so well.

And I guess now this blog entry is another incentive to put away the brownie mix....

7 happy thoughts:

christy said...

hey, so i've learned a little trick this year that has helped me loose some weight but still enjoy the sweets. i have given up the candy for the whole year. we have dessert a lot more (like just about everyday, at least a couple of times a week) but i have lost weight from it because i don't eat the whole dessert where i would go through quite a bit of candy in a day, week, month. so you might want to give up the candy and go ahead with the oreos and brownies.

Tamara said...

Hey, I've been in the "get healthy" mode too, and I find that just watching my portion size helps. Like, instead of eating an entire huge burrito from Cafe Rio, I'll eat half. Instead of eating a whole handful of peanut M&M's, I'll eat 5. So, I'm never depriving myself of ANY food, I'm just cutting back a bit. And I work out 3-4 days a week, while Alex is sleeping and Ethan is playing computer games. It's just a little DVD I found at Ross, but it works! It's only 35 minutes long, and then I add 10-15 minutes on the bike (about 5 miles) and I feel good! I'm not changing overnight, but I feel healthier just knowing I'm making the effort! GOOD LUCK!

Amparo said...

I think it is great that you joined a gym. I bet you look great even without the gym membership. I am still trying to lose those final 15 pounds, and Alyse is going on 15 months. For some reason trying to lose weight after having a third baby becomes a little more difficult. But give it time, he's only 3 months. I am sure you will lose it real soon. But kuddos on getting a trainer.

Kim said...

I say, Stop stressing! Christian is only 3 months old!!! That's nothing! It will come off. You've been blessed with some good genetics. Watch your portion size maybe, but I bet exercising will take it off. We do love our food! And that is one thing our family can do - EAT!!!

Our Family Happenings said...

I totally know what you mean. I too love my candy and desserts! It is so hard to find a balance, but I agree portion control is the best way to go, because I know for me, if I try and give something up, it just makes me want it that much worse and then when I get it, I just want to gorge on it. Seriously, you need to just give yourself time, 3 months isn't long. I know you want to be back to "normal", I feel the same way, but Jasmine is 8 months now, and I still need to lose weight. For me, when I am nursing it seems like I can't lose the weight, but when I stop nursing, then I can finally lose the weight. I always am so hungry when I am nursing. Good luck at the gym, don't stress about it, but just have fun and it will come off eventually!

Megan said...

Kelsey~ I so hear you on this one. Christian is only three months old so give your self a lot of credit. You know I have really struggled with losing that "baby weight" and Myles is 2. Years not months. I do the incentive thing too. I got my hair cut when I reached a certain weight, pedicure and a girls night out. Once I hit my goal, another 35 pounds, which hopefully will be right around tax return time, I get a new wardrobe. Now that's incentive. Good luck. ~Megan

Megan said...

One more thing... I can't wait to see how much my feet cost... That is too cute. I am laughing my way to weigh in with that one. ~megan