9.02.2008

why i don't read

I should not be allowed to read a book. Ever.
This is what happens.
I become so engrossed in what I'm reading, that all else (and as you can see, I really mean ALL else) falls by the wayside. (Although I did take time out to take a few pictures:)

My aunt Kim (thanks again, SO MUCH) bought me a great book for my birthday. I got it Saturday afternoon in the mail and really had to resist the urge to open it (that next morning I was giving a talk in Sacrament and still hadn't written my talk...). So I hid it away and last night after putting the kids in bed, pulled it out and started reading. Joey made me turn off the light, otherwise I probably would have finished it in the wee hours of the morning. So I got up today and read. And read and read and read. The girls did their own thing; Marryn got them their own snacks (the granola bar that Reganne is eating in the living room-big no no, but I didn't seem to mind too much) and Reganne chose to redress herself. Christian was subjected to sleeping in his bouncer most the day. I finished it just after Joey put the kids in bed tonight.

I love reading (well, as long as it's a good story) and just can't stop. I remember as a kid going to Las Vegas to shop. If I was good all day, I'd get a new book. Oh how I loved getting books! And then I'd get in trouble on the way home as I'd try to read it in the dark. I don't read very often now. Just don't have the time. My past readings do include the Harry Potter series, although I haven't read the last book, since it hasn't come out on paperback yet (at least I haven't noticed it) and also The Work and the Glory. All books were read in a day or two's time. But now I have another series.

I have seen these books, but didn't know anything about them. Then I read the "info" stuff. It's about a vampire...I wasn't so sure, but within the first pages, I was hooked. I felt really silly being into a teenage drama/love book, but as I soon found out, many other people were too. I loved it and can't wait to read the next ones.

9 happy thoughts:

MK said...

You will soooo LOVE them! I think I read them all in less than 2 weeks because I am exactly the same way. Gary told me I had to take a break from reading for a while because I didn't pay any attention to them. These books are seriously incredible!!! There is a lady in my ward who is Stephanie Meyer's aunt, so she got us all hooked on these books. Did you know she is LDS? Sooo good, enjoy!

christy said...

i know what you mean! i read the first three (that's all that were published at the time) in less than a week. good luck with the rest.

Kim said...

I always knew you were a strange child. he he he. Just kidding! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, I'm still cracking up that you are already finished! I guess I better whip up and get started! Hey, by the way, good job getting a new post up :) I'm going to do mine right now. I fell asleep with Wyatt right after I talked to you (actually right after we finished playing rockband)

The King Family said...

That is exactly what happens with me. Jace tells me once I get into a book they don't see me for a couple days. So funny!

Our Family Happenings said...

Yes, these book are addicting. I loved them all. At least you just started them...now you don't have to wait for any of them to come out. If you have a SAMS club, they are SO much cheaper there, they haven't put the 3rd one out in paperback yet, but I think it was 12 dollars hard back at Sams Club. Hope you are doing well, glad to see I am not the only one who let my kids run around why I finished the book!

rachwheel said...

It's your escape. Don't worry, all of us Mom's do it as often as we need to. It's great that you're taking time for yourself. They're pretty good at a young age of taking care of themselves when need be, right?
I'd love to read a good book too, but blogs are all the reading I get these days because we're still unpacking. How long did it take you to get all settled in? Boy it's slow-going here.

Jared and Amber said...

I was the same way reading them! The movie comes out at Thanksgiving time...YA!!!!

Laine said...

I just finished the series...in two weeks! When I was done Sean said, "Happy to have my wife back." :)

Tamara said...

Ha ha! It's about time you caught up with the Twilight pack! I read the whole series in 3 days. My house (and kids) looked a whole lot worse! :) Enjoy reading!