7.08.2008

baby update #3

Had my 39 week appointment on Monday. Again, not much has really changed, but we did set an inducement date for this Saturday, July 12.

I'm a bit worried about being induced. I had a really rough time with Reganne. And kind of the same situation, I was due on Tuesday (currently due next Tuesday) but opted to be induced the Saturday before. Everything was fine, was given pitocin, was slowly dilating, got my epidural and then suddenly started to have some pain on one side. The nurse checked me and I was only at a 5, so she suggested I roll to that side. The pain just got worse and worse and 15 minutes later she checked me again to find that I was fully dilated and ready to deliver! No time for anything. Not even time for my midwife to get there! She had to call out into the hall to get someone in there to help! I only pushed for about half an hour, but oh, was it hell. Reganne came out fine, didn't get stuck or anything, but sure did a number on my cervix. I remember when they delivered her they put her up on my chest, but I'll tell you what, that was the last thing I wanted. I was trembling so bad. After they got me drugged up and numb again, then was I able to pay attention to her. They spent alot of time trying to stitch me up (and restitch me up...). They almost took me to the operating room, but finally managed to do what they needed to. Then I was fine. Did stay in the hospital until that Monday, but otherwise healed up just fine. I talked later to my midwife about it and she explained that the petocin kicked in and because I've done this before, my body knew what to do and just did it so fast that the epidural couldn't "keep up."

So my delima was to be induced or not to be induced. I would be willing to wait until he "wanted" to come out, but if the ultrasound was right, almost 3 weeks ago he was measuring just about 8 lbs. Add the 1/2 lb he'd gain each week and that sets me up to have a pretty big kid. Especially if he didn't come for another 2 more weeks or so....

Marryn has been my only pleasant delivery. Because Landen's shoulders had gotten stuck (a whole other bad delivery story), they induced me really early with Marryn, only to have a 7 1/2 lb baby. Very nice. But who knows. I don't feel like this baby is super big or anything. But of course I never imagined Reganne would be 9 lbs. Maybe low 8, but not anything more.

The really nice thing about being induced is that we can be sure someone is here with the girls. Jean (Joe's mom) will come up from Loveland on Friday and stay through the weekend with the girls. My mom's in Arizona, a little bit further away, but hopefully she'll come up soon and stay for a week or so. And Joe also gets a week off (paid) for Paternity Leave, so that's really nice. Although if need be, he can also work from home. He just doesn't get as much done when he does that....

5 happy thoughts:

Kim said...

We will be thinking of you saturday (well, actually we are always thinking of you guys) but we will say a little prayer for you. I'm hoping things will go better with your new doctor.

Our Family Happenings said...

Well, I guess you have an end in sight now! That is exciting and nerve racking all at the same time I am sure. I hope that your delivery goes better this time and that it will be a good experience for you. Let us know when he comes and post some pictures ASAP! Good luck. Who knows...maybe you will go into labor before then!

The King Family said...

I can't believe you are already there. I too do not like being started. It is so much easier to go on your own.....but things happen. I am so excited for you. You will have to post some picts when he gets here. Good luck with the birth!

Our Family Happenings said...

So, after reading your entry last night, I had a dream that you had your baby boy. I thought it was kind of funny that I dreamed about it, hopefully it came true, if not you only have 3 days to go!

Tamara said...

Hey guys! I didn't even know you were pregnant! I guess it's been a LOOOONG time since we've reconnected. Congrats on your new baby boy, since it's now 11:47pm on the 12th, and I'm guessing you were induced today! Let me know all about it when you get a chance!

Take care and rest when you can! I'm exhausted just thinking about adding number 3 to our family! :)