3.24.2010

some house projects

Well, as I mentioned awhile ago, I've been working a few little projects around the house.  I'm finding though that I am not so good at finishing what I start... 

Project 1: Hardware on our cabinets.


 
I started this in July, when Christian began to find interest in opening up our bottom cabinets and I needed to lock a few.  Instead of screwing locks onto the inside, I decided that I'd rather have some nice hardware with outside locks where needed.  {Only 2 are actually locked: under the sink (safety reasons) and our flour/sugar/oil one (mess reasons).}  I finished all the bottom ones that month and then the handles for the top cabinets sat in our garage until what, Febuary, when I finally pulled them out and finished.  I only had one major mess up-drilling into the wrong side of the cabinet...but I fixed it and you can barely tell.  (Thought Joey was going to shoot me though...)  And one is slightly crooked (dang it!)...but again, unless I point it out, nobody notices;).  And I kind of wish I would have gone with the longer handles.  They look really nice on the shorter bottom doors, but with our tall and skinny top cabinets, they're lookin' a little small...  Oh well.  They would have cost alot more and the ones I did go with were the largest that would fit in the little hardware-guide-thing I bought.


Project 2: Painting the Powder Bath and Laundry Room


Finally, some color in our house!  And then after I painted, I found some perfectly matching handtowels, with grey (my new favorite color;) and black at Marshalls.  I found the HIS and HERS prints at Michaels, but really struggled to find reasonable plain black and white frames that would fit them.  So I finally settled on these clearance ones.  Still have some work to do with the laundry part, but that's another day.  And another dollar (that we don't have;).  I even managed to get it all painted the day before our new washer and dryer arrived (of which I am lovin'!).  Of course Joe had a fit when he walked in on me standing on top of our old dryer trying to get parts of the ceiling painted.  What?  I was only, like, 8 months pregnant then;)


Was hoping to post a few more projects, but am not finished yet.  Surprise, suprise. So close to being done with the girls' room.  And am finally adding some colorful touches to the living room.  Hopefully I'll finish up before the baby comes....  I really REALLY want to paint.  Everything.  Am just so tired of staring at our yellowish walls and ceilings (everything is painted an antique white).  I just don't know how to change the wall color to something cooler (like a light grey;) without painting the entire ceiling too.  And our banister.  Looking a little rough.  Want to paint (or stain) it black.  And refinish and add to our hardwood floors.  And knock out our little half wall dividing the dining and living room.  And put in some nicer light fixtures.  And put up some craftsman style moldings and built ins.  And...yeah, my list goes on and on and on.  I've got big dreams for our little house.  Big dreams with no money and no skill;). 

But for now, I guess I'll settle for the little projects I can do.       

6 happy thoughts:

Jennifer said...

Wow, your amazing. I am the same way with starting and not finishing projects. Its all fun in the begining but gets tiring soooo fast. You must be nesting for the new little one. YOu are so close.
Good for you on the projects, its the little stuff that makes it feel like a whole new house!

Unknown said...

I love your his and her signs!! can I copy that idea?? And the paint color is so soothing-- Projects I think are so fun-- love yours!

Kim said...

I LOVE the bathroom! That is an awesome color! Very nice job, and the his her wall hangings are adorable! It looks so great! Love the hardware too. I just told Steve the other day that I wanted him to do that to our kitchen. You are brave, I'm not brave enough to do the hardware. I don't have the patience to make sure they go on evenly :)
You are wise to be getting projects done before the baby comes.

LeighSabey said...

Wow, everything looks great! I especially love your color choices in the bathroom; can't wait to see the laundry room all finished! And can you please finish the girl's room ASAP so I can steal your best ideas? (We're working on Claire's room now). :)

Felton Family said...

Good thing I live in AZ now, I can steal all your ideas and no one will know where I got them from:) hahaha. J/k. sooooo very cute with all the colors, hardware etc...and being nine months pregos. Wonderwoman!!!

Koenig Family Blog said...

LOVE the projects!!! Can I ask where you got the hardware for your cabinets? I want some on mine, but can't decide which style- I really like yours though...

Best of luck on your upcoming delivery!!!