10.09.2009

bad drivers

Since moving to Colo Springs, our car insurance has shot up. Well, actually it didn't shoot up until like 9 months after moving. I thought I had changed our address through the website, but then one day got a forwarded piece of mail (everything else was paperless-so I didn't notice). I then looked it up and no, my request did not make it through. So I did it again, this time I knew it was changed because we suddenly owed so much more. Seriously, it jumped about $350, for our 2 cars, every six months! We tried to tweek it to make it more manageable, but in the end, had to switch. We were pretty sad to do so, our *agent* was a good friend of ours from Fort Collins... But anyhow. I have now learned why it is so much more expensive here.

Bad drivers.

Over and over I have come home to tell Joey stories about what I have seen. And all in the area minutes from our home. Like the other day. I was at a stoplight in the turning lane. One car in front of me. The arrow turned green. And the car didn't go. I waited. Still didn't go. Was about to tap my horn (I really don't like using is, it has become such a rude thing) when I noticed why the car wasn't going. Here comes a car, just cruising through it's red light. Not in a hurry, so it obviously wasn't paying attention. Really glad I didn't honk. And this wasn't far from a small intersection that an off duty police officer was killed when someone turned into his motorcycle...

And then a few weeks ago, I was in a in front of some stores (Home Goods and TJ Max for those of you here) and a car started to back out. So I stopped. For 2 reasons. One, to be polite. Two, as to not get hit by the car. Then the idiot behind me whips around me as if I had stopped for no reason and then had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the car I was stopped for. Now, what if I had stopped for someone to cross the street? This is a parking lot. Would he have smacked into them?

Well, I have prided myself on being a courteous and good (not always great, but better than most;) driver. So the other day, I'm going to pick up Reganne from her pre-school. It's in a neighborhood a few blocks over. As I come upon the house, I flip around in the street so I can park *correctly* on the houses' side of the street. As I'm about parallel in the street, I notice it. A FedEx Truck right behind me, slamming his breaks as not to blind side me.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I was so embarrassed. I rolled my window down and apologized, which he was really nice and just laughed it off. But then there were 3 of the mothers, standing out in the driveway. Nice. At least he didn't hit me. That would have been way worse. For many obvious reasons.

Yes, not one of my best moments.

But I guess I can take some learning experiences from this.

Watch out for more than just kiddos in the small neighborhoods.

And you're never as good of a driver as you think;)

2 happy thoughts:

Jennifer said...

Its sad because people are just getting worse at driving. It makes things scary for all of us and our children. I worry about them all the time when they are in the car with me. I try to be a good driver and sometimes I slip up and drive bad. I do always appologize though..sometimes it just happens. Sometimes you just don't see the other person or realize what is going on..It always gets me when you mess up and they are rude to you..Sometimes appologizing just isn't enough..Sigh!

Kim said...

eeeks!!! Close one! I don't remember you complaining about the drivers there before, but it sounds like it's pretty bad. I'm glad he didn't hit you! Talk about high insurance, they are always looking for a reason to raise it more!