8.21.2009

can't contain herself

Marryn started Kindergarten. Finally. In her mind, not mine;) She has been asking when she'll start school since like Christmas. EVERYDAY she'd ask. Need to work on that whole month/week/day concept with her. Crossing of days on the calender didn't seem to register much either;) But the day finally arrived, Thursday Aug 13th and she was just too excited for words. That prior Tuesday we went to the orientation, took in her loooong list of school supplies (Really? What happened to just crayons and glue??) and met her teacher, Mrs. Wright. We chose a charter school, The Imagine Classical Academy and it just happens to be 4 minutes from our house! The building is brand new this year, although the school opened up last year. She's in the PM class of which I am SO SO SO grateful. Getting her there at 12:15 is still a challenge. There is no busing, which sucks, but even if she went to the local public school, about the same distance maybe a little further, we are considered too close for busing. So either way, I'm officially a chauffeur now. Drop off 12:15. Pick up 3:15. Everyday. Yikes. What's happened to the simple days of staying home with my kids...

Anyhow. Marryn was so eager to get ready that after breakfast she disappeared for awhile before coming back down stairs, showered and dressed. At about 9am. And just so you know, we've never let her just go shower on her own. Yet. Turns out, this works out quite nicely for me;) So then she had to just wait. And wait. And wait some more. And then once again, it was finally time to go.

Mrs. Wright read a really cute story for the kids and their parents and then each kid got a heart sticker to kiss and then give to their parents. You know, to help ease the separation fear from both parties. I might have been more tearful if I wasn't so busy trying to keep Reganne from drenching herself from the water fountain and Christian from crying because he also wanted to do whatever Reganne was doing. Oh, the cycle starts again... And then before we knew it, it was time to pick her up. She gets out at 3:15. We arrived at 2:55 (I know, early? Me?) and had to wait in line, in the neighborhood streets. Marryn didn't get in the car until 3:38. Uh...what have I gotten myself into... Next day ran much smoother and quicker, the kinks of a new school and school year are still working themselves out. She was just so excited to tell me about everything, of course her favorites being snack time and recess;) Once again, she could hardly wait until the next day to go back.

Her first full week went well. She loves picking out her *school clothes* (there is a uniform-like dress code) and getting together her healthy snacks and water bottle. And of course doing her homework;) Drop off and pick up are getting smoother all around, although I'm struggling. Again, aren't stay-at-home moms suppose to well, stay at home! This is tough for me, I typically only leave the house a couple times a week. Not a couple times a day. I'm sure we'll all get use to it. Christian's naps are still working themselves out he usually goes down from 11ish to 3ish but sure makes for a quiet afternoon when he is sleeping and it's just me and Reganne. I thought Reganne might have a hard time with Marryn going to school and her not, but she's doing just fine. Although she talks about herself going to kindergarten all the time now. I was asked if I wanted to join in with a co-op sort of preschool with some other moms at church. Super excited about that. And so is Reganne. She even packed up some snacks leftover peas, ham, bread, carrots and frozen soybeans for her to take to her preschool won't start until September;)

9 happy thoughts:

Megan said...

That is the cutest post. How exciting for her. And for you. It is hard to watch them grow up but so fun to see them learning and developing. Welcome to the world of "If I stay at home how come I am NEVER at home". It only crazier! And HOLY line to pick up kids. That is madness. And sweet Reganne. How cute is her snacks. ~M

Megan said...

Really, Megan! Proofing is not my thing today. It only gets crazier! and How cute ARE her snacks. Pregnant brain...

Kim said...

Very cute! The pictures are adorable (of course). I can only imagine how much she loves school. She looks like a kindergartener. How did that happen? I agree with the whole never home thing. I am in serious shock of how much we are going now. Fortunately I have set up some carpooling (even for Maylee's preschool), but then like a dummy I signed the kids up for a music class and then Maylee for Ballet. HELLO! I even knew better and still did it. Anyhow, Marryn will do awesome, she just seems like a star student!

MK said...

So cute! I think Kindergarten is harder for the parents than the kids in most cases. Hopefully you can get all the kinks worked out well. We need to talk...I was considering a charter school for cody too, but I don't really know how it all works.

Jennifer said...

I'm so excited that your back!!!
Glad to hear she had a great first week. Mark has been so much the same. He goes at 1:15 and comes home at 3:45. He gets ready first thing in the morning and asks all day long when its time to go to school. We are also in the pm class! Thank heavens..Mark is a night owl and its a huge fight every single night to get him into bed. But none the less he loves school and I'm gratefull for that:0)

Our Family Happenings said...

Wow, she looks SO grown up! It is hard dropping them of at school...yes it is crazy all the dropping off and picking up. Landon is doing FULL day, and I miss him so much, the first day I think I was like having a freak out while he was gone for SO long...but I am getting more use to it. Still you wonder how they are doing, and if they are being good or naughty and what not. Anyway, sorry we didn't get to see you while we were in the Springs, but maybe next time. Matt's Grandma lives there so we will be back! Love all of your posts!

G'Ma Jean said...

I am Happy and Sad all at once...precious...I will have to find the photo of Joey on his first day of kindergarten to show Marryn. Hope she is still loving it.........she will probably be the teacher's "pet"! XO

Ashli Dardenne said...

She looks so cute!!! I love the uniforms.

Emily said...

That first picture is so dang cute. I love the look on her face. Adorable.