6.16.2009

29 and vegan

Yesterday Joey celebrated his 29th birthday. Happy Birthday Hun. Last year of his twenties. And what did he ask for? Besides a million dollars. Vegan cupcakes. Yes. He is currently on a vegan diet. Of his own will. So I found this recipe and let me tell you, it is fan-tas-tic!

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
*1 cup soy milk
*1 tsp apple cider vinegar
*3/4 cup granulated sugar
*1/3 cup canola oil
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*1/2 tsp almond extract
*1 cup all-purpose flour
*1/3 cup cocoa powder
*3/4 tsp baking soda
*1/2 tsp baking powder
*1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil and extracts to the soy milk mixture and beat till foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in two batches to the wet ingredients. (I mixed the wet ingredients in my KA and added the dry directly there.) Beat till no large lumps remain. Fill liners 3/4 full. Bake 18-20 minutes till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan five minutes and transfer to rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
*1/4 cup margarine softened
*1/4 cup shortening
*1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
*2 1/2 powdered sugar, sifted
*3 tbsps soy milk
*1 1/2 tsps pure vanilla extract

Cream together the margarine and the shortening until well combined. Add the cocoa powder and incorporate well. (Again, I did this all in the KA. It looked rather dry at first, but came together beautifully.) Add the confectioners' sugar in about 1/2 cup batches and beat well adding a little splash of soy milk after each addition. When all ingredients have been well incorporated, add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.


Okay, so my frosting I used butter instead of margarine and regular milk instead of soy (used it all up in the cupcakes). Not exactly vegan...so Joey did not eat it [the frosting].

These were so easy and just absolutely dE-lish! I will be making them again.

Oh, and the recipe only makes about 12. Perfect amount.
Oh, and yes, I took that picture:)

10 happy thoughts:

Emily said...

I'm trying those babies. YUM.

Unknown said...

Awesome picture--like it's right out of a cookbook!

Megan said...

Yummy... and that picture is amazing. Where did you get that plate? I am seriously loving it. Tell me. ~M Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE!

LeighSabey said...

Kelsey, I just found your blog through your facebook notes, and I love it! You are an amazing photographer. Those kiddos are so incredibly cute. And they really eat kale? I'm impressed :)

kelsey said...

I found the plate at Pier 1 on clearance. LOVE it! Wish I could have bought more.

And yes, my kids DO eat kale. Sometimes;) Marryn ate all her kale soup tonight. Reganne did not.

Our Family Happenings said...

Wow, I love your cupcakes..they look so perfect. I have this really yummy tofu pie recipe. Mostly it is chocolate chips, karyo syrup, and tofu. Super yum and pretty darn easy to make.

Kim said...

You two need to quit reading treehugger.com

Amparo said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I am gonna try it for my girls birthday party. Oh, by the way, I knew a pro photographer took the pic, great job. Do you want take my next family photos? Not really, unless you really want to!

Katielin317 said...

Whoa. I was just about to ask if you took that pic. SO impressed! And Vegan? really? Why? :)

Kathy and Ryan said...

I am very impressed. Those cupcakes look amazing. My sister and her husband are vegans (going on 15 years I think). But I can tell you that it is not easy to bake vegan style. So good for you!!