3.05.2009

the mother ship

The Mother Ship.


Or in my case, The Small Rescue Boat.

I have learned over the past few years, that I don't need to carry with me every little thing the kids might need. Or want. No. As Marryn moved out of the baby stage I found the need for a diaper bag to be, well, I didn't really need one. A diaper, wipes and a snack or two with her sippy cup was all we really needed. Carrying a big bag around, pointless. So I added a few things to my purse and my load was lightened. Then Reganne came along. And although I would need a little more, I didn't have the arms to lug around the diaper bag. So into my purse went a few more items. I did have a diaper bag, stocked permanently in the car (of which I rarely even needed). This was working out great for us.

Just before adding another babe to the picture, I found the PERFECT purse at TJ Max. It has been great. In this *medium sized* purse, I keep 2 diapers (one for each diapered kid) on one side with my phone, on the other side I keep a package of wipes and disposable changing pad (super easy and fast to get to!). In the main compartment I have snacks, a plug, a small toy, stickers, bandaids and spray neosporin (after Marryn's little "runover" incident) plus my wallet, coupon case, sunglasses and a few other necessities (pen, chapsticks, lotion, ibuprofen, etc.). And the girls are in charge of their own waters. Everyone also has their own "car" blanket. So here we are, I have everything I would need all the time with me, condensed into one little purse. Excellent.



Now on the rare(er) occasion that Christian has a blowout, well, there is an extra onesie and sleeper in the car. Or in the case of last week, I just purchased a new outfit, some Gap jammies ;).

7 happy thoughts:

Emily said...

I can't keep up with all of your posts, I love it. You are so organized, cute purse. And have I ever mentioned your kids are to die for? Well, they are.

Emily said...

loved your role of women post.

Megan said...

I totally agree with you. I am so a purse kind of mom. Mainly because of the coolness factor. Love your small rescue boat. ~M

MK said...

I am so with you on the whole diaper bag thing. With Cody, I packed up a huge diaper bag and now I have a purse that has one diaper for each kid, a wipes case, toy cars, a snack and a sippy cup. Plus a few of my things. Glad you found a good find to replace the typical diaper bag.

We should meet at the zoo sometime. It's about half way for both of us right? Let's plan it when the weather gets nice again.

Laine said...

i love it!! someday I'll be as organized as you are....it's GREAT!!! you should write a book.....

Koenig Family Blog said...

I am totally with you! The only time the "diaper bag" gets used is when Dave has Grant for the two hours of church that I am in primary! I should find him a "man-purse" haha

Rhitzclan said...

Love it! I've jumped on that same band-wagon. It makes life much more simple.